With an official announcement expected on June 1st, US Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) appears to be quite serious about running for President. “I’m running because I think the world is falling apart and I’ve been more right than wrong on foreign policy,” he said on Monday.
Over the last few months, Graham has made a few controversial statements about the use of government force that have been described by his staff as jokes. For a potential candidate so dedicated to promoting massive military presence around the world, it can be difficult to dismiss his words as jokes as his list of unusual statements continues to grow.
- In New Hampshire, Graham said he would “literally use the military” to hold Congress until its members restored defense spending cuts. (Read more here)
- “Al Qaeda, Al Nusra, Al Qaeda in the Arab Peninsula… Everything that starts with ‘Al’ in the Middle East is bad news.” (Read more here)
- “If I’m President of the United States and you’re thinking about joining Al Qaeda or ISIL—anybody thinking about that?—I’m not going to call a judge, I’m going to call a drone, and we will kill you.” (Read more here)
Graham’s other jokes have not been limited to humorous threats of force:
- The Jew Joke. “If I put together a finance team that will make me financially competitive enough to stay in this thing … I may have the first all-Jewish cabinet in America because of the pro-Israel funding. [Chuckles.] Bottom line is, I’ve got a lot of support from the pro-Israel funding.” Source: JTA
- The White Man Joke. “If I get to be president, white men who are in male-only clubs are going to do great in my presidency.” Source: FITS
- The Sexist Joke. “Did you see Nancy Pelosi on the floor? Complete disgust. If you can get through all the surgeries, there’s disgust.” Source: Salon
Perhaps this list will grow as the presidential race ramps up and the verbal jabs continue to fly.
For more news related to the 2016 Presidential election, click here.